05072017 Red tailed Hawks, two nestlings

Location of Rescue: 
Warsaw, IN
Admission Date: 
UPDATE: 11/11/2017 - These 2 red-tailed hawk babies have grown quite a bit over the last few months. Both passed live prey school Friday 10/20. These babies were released on 11/5. Both are excellent fliers and will have no problem surviving in the wild.

Sunday - The two baby raptors are fine. These are very young, one still has a egg tooth which makes it less than a week old. Last night there were taken to the clinic and throughly checked out.  No injuries, which is common problem when a nest tree comes down.  These guys were lucky in that respect.  They spent the night in an incubator, as they are too young to maintain their own temperature.  They ate well.

Monday  - Today we are deploying a "ReNesting" crew to the site to build a man-made nest close to the old nest, but out of the path of the land clearing project that is going on.

Tuesday -  Bird Identification as this age can be a real challenge.  As it turns out these two baby raptors are red-tailed hawks.  At the time of rescue, they had been reported at eagles (by more than one person).  The birds have been renested today in the nest construcrted by our crew yesterday.  The raptors will be monitor over the next few days to determine of the parents, whom we have seen overhead, come down and take care of them.

The photos show the fallen tree, the volunteer crew assembling the platform nest, nesting materials being placed on the platform, and the two baby birds being reintroduced to their new home.

May 10 - Nature can be mean.  Note that the larger baby steals from the smaller one.  Tomorrow we share a story and video by the foster parentss!

On about May 10th, Lana began caring for the Red-tailed Hawk babies that had been rescued from the Warsaw area. The birds had been found after their nest tree was accidently cut down by a land owner that had no knowledge of the nest that was located about sixty feet up a Beech Tree.
Lana fed the birds on a two-four feeding schedule. Food items were reduced to a size the babies could ingest. A cover was used over Lana and a sock placed over her hand to help in reducing the possibility of the birds imprinting on humans. The birds were gradually given larger food items and eventually began tearing whole rats.


A third juvenile Red-Tail was added the last week in May.  This bird was a little smaller than the first two. Attempts were made to feed all three together. It was found the third bird did better separated from the first two, while feeding. All gained weight and show signs of maturing. Feathers and plumage. This juvenile began tearing chicks and rats at a faster rate than the first two.


May 10

In spite of our efforts to reintroduce the nestlings to their original home, the parents did not cooperate.  Not too surprising in that the nest was destroyed on Saturday, we got called late Sunday, and it was early Tues before we could leave the birds on site.  The usual rule for a successful renesting is 48 hours, and 24 hours is much preferred.

The two baby birds are fine but back at Soarin Hawk. The plan is for them to be raised by a licensed Falconer.  Meanwhile they will enjoy Soarin Hawk hospitality, a cozy nitted nest, great food and lots of caring.

May 29
These guys grow like weeds!  They are tearing up whole prey on their own and will soon be placed in an outside mew.  They had another nestling join them on May 25.


On June 3rd all the juvenile red-tails were moved to the Hack Box at Bridgettes home.​ To follow their progress, go the link at the bottom of this story.

These red-tail babies are full grown and doing well but are not ready to be released.  They have been moved to a flight pen with one other red-tail orphan.  They will be released late fall.

The two young hawks soon outgrew the hack box they were in and spent the rest of the summer at our main facility, which offered a bigger flight pen so they could stretch their wings!  The next milestones that they needed to achieve were to fly well and to catch live prey.  We spent several weeks creance flying them, which means that they are attached to a 150 foot line and released to fly.  This enables them to fully exercise those flight muscles, and it helps us to determine whether or not they are capable of full flight.  During this time we also separated the two and placed them in individual pens in which they were fed live mice.  They needed to catch the live mice two days in a row which shows us that they should be able to catch live prey out in the wild.  They passed those last milestones with flying colors, so they are ready for release.  We took them to Potawatomi Inn at Pokagon State Park on November 5th, 2017 for their release, but due to severe thunderstorms in the area, it was decided to delay their release until the next day, November 6th, at the same location.  Given all the time that they spent with these two as babies, Lana and Louie are looking forward to handling their release to their forever home!




How You Can Help

It's important to rescue, rehab, and share these birds with the community, and we thank our donors and volunteers for making it possible.
Embedded thumbnail for 05072017 Red tailed Hawks, two nestlingsEmbedded thumbnail for 05072017 Red tailed Hawks, two nestlingsEmbedded thumbnail for 05072017 Red tailed Hawks, two nestlingsEmbedded thumbnail for 05072017 Red tailed Hawks, two nestlingsEmbedded thumbnail for 05072017 Red tailed Hawks, two nestlings